“If you’re uncomfortable about blacks, you’re racist; uncomfortable about Jews, you’re anti-Semitic. But today, if you’re uncomfortable about sex, you’re a civic leader.”
That’s Marty Klein at his finest: brutally honest, scathingly funny. The President of the ACLU introduces this powerful book, which shows how the government and Religious Right use the regulation of sexual expression, entertainment, information, and health care to undermine our secular democracy.
Marty’s research shows how today’s public policies attempt to solve the wrong sexual “problems”–guaranteeing more of the real sexual problems with which American individuals and communities continue to struggle. These drive the demand for more repressive “solutions” which, of course, don’t work either.
“Although every Alabaman has a legal right to own a gun, they don’t have the same right to own a vibrator,” says Marty. Untangling myths about “obscenity,” porn’s actual effects, and so-called “activist judges,” this fast-paced, meticulously researched, thought-provoking book addresses:
- How the Right has demonized sexuality, creating a cultural climate of danger and fear
- The relationship between repressive public policy and personal sexual problems
- Why anyone who defends everyone’s sexual rights is perceived as attacking “morality” and safety
- How the Sexual Disaster Industry harms us every day
- Why sexual rights are as important as our other freedoms
- What must be done to stop this war on your sexuality